"God with us" in El Monte
Immanuel, which means "God with us," is a church where everyone who desires God's presence is welcome! God is with every person - regardless of race, creed, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or economic status.
Established as a "ministry station" in 1922 by The Rev. R. Renison in the city of El Monte, Immanuel Church has been a vibrant mission of the Diocese since 1950. In 1997 Immanuel was blessed to be "adopted" by the Church of Our Saviour in San Gabriel.
Immanuel is a bilingual (Spanish & English) church in one of the poorest areas of the San Gabriel Valley. For 25+ years, Our Saviour Center, an outreach ministry of the Church of Our Saviour, has been located on the property of Immauel Church and has become Immanuel's primary outreach ministry as well. Parishioners of Immanuel assist with the Food Bank, after-school programs, and special programs, such as the annual Christmas gift party.
The congregation of Immanuel pastors 300+ members as well as being a Chaplaincy for Our Saviour Center's very large client base, serving an array of individual spiritual needs for center clientele. Immanuel is approximately 90% Latino and the current Vicar, the Rev. Gary J. Bradley, is a fluent Spanish- speaker with 25 years' experience in mission work in the USA, Mexico, and Peru.
Immanuel is also served by a Spanish speaking associate vicar Roberto Limatú and an English speaking associate vicar Nancy Shier.
our worship life
An English service of Holy Eucharist - at 9:15am on Sundays - welcomes a small but caring congregation including several longtime members. The Spanish services - at 11:15am on Sundays - welcome a congregation (average age of 28, and average membership of 8 years). Birthdays are celebrated once a month.
The large Latino membership celebrates the sacramental life of the Catholic tradition embodied in our Anglican heritage. Celebrations of First Formal Eucharist and of "Quinceañeras" (Fifteenth Year of Faith) are important to the members. Examples of special days at Immanuel, shared by all the members are:
- the annual celebration of the Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead - All Souls Day), near November 2, with the preparation of individual family altars remembering and honoring the ancestors and other faithful departed. It is a joyful celebration, recalling St. Paul's admonition, "Death be not proud."
- the festival of La Virgen de Guadalupe in early December, celebrating the importance of Our Lady to many people as well as the religiosidad popular of Mexico and Latin America.
- the procession through the City of El Monte reenacting the Holy Family's search for lodging, the Posadas in the Advent season, traditionally within the novena of days before Christmas.
- the annual renewal of wedding vows at Eucharist on the Saturday closest to February 14, the Dia de Amor, followed by a dinner and dance evening.
- the special focus on events of Semana Santa (Holy Week), including a city procession of the Via Crucis on Good Friday.
Our warm and loving congregation invites you to worship with us and share in our many rich traditions. Please join us!
4366 Santa Anita Ave
El Monte CA 91731
- 9:15am English service - Guitar - classical and varied hymnody
- 11:15am Spanish service
- classical hymnody, Flor y Canto Hymnal
- Call for information about weekday services, usually in people's homes. We will come to your home on request.
children and youth
Sunday School at 11:15 am for children
Older youth have religious instruction at the time of First Formal Communion, confirmation, and Quinceaneras. Some joint meetings with Church of Our Saviour youth, other youth in the diocese, and programs at Our Saviour Center.
> to devotedly serve the spiritual needs of our membership with
special sensitivity to Latino culture and popular religiosity,
> to actively respond to the spiritual needs of those who seek God as a result of their link to the mission work of Our Saviour Center
> to enthusiastically welcome and fully include all who wish to know Immanuel, "God with us," in El Monte.